Friday, July 11, 2014

Learning About Flowers

On Tuesday I hosted our Beneficial Flowers class. I had so much fun preparing for it, I finally put my art skills to use!
I am pretty frugal when it comes to teaching supplies (more time than money) so I grabbed a few sheets of poster board at the Dollar Tree and drew a picture of a flower.
 Here it is all colored and pretty. It was fun having the kids label all the parts of a flower as I described how each part worked.
 I ended up hosting the class out in the backyard surrounded by our gardens and chickens. It was a nice over cast day so the temps stayed rather cool.
 We took a flower  walk through the main garden and around the back to identify flowers and see bees hard at work pollinating flowers.
 When we were finished it was time for our craft. The kids planted a beneficial flower for them to take home. They had a choice of sunflower, borage, or Dukat dill. They also got to taste some bee pollen that I picked up from the Bordain's at the farmers market. 
I also laid out a few books that were about seeds and plants that the kids could look through.

It was a fun time for all! I can't wait until next Tuesday for the compost class. I just love compost!

If you would like to join us for our garden classes on Tuesday, please email me 
heathergc@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment