Sunday, May 18, 2014

DIY Paper Mache Bowls

 With summer vacation fast approaching it's nice to have some activities to have on hand for those days the kids are "bored".
In our family we love to craft! It gives the kids a hands on approach to discovering and creating their own works of art.
Recently I decided that making paper mache bowls was something they could enjoy, it's useful, and they actually turned out better then I imagined.

 I collected all the items from around the house. I cut leftover scrap booking paper into strips, got out stickers, pom poms, markers, paper strips from our paper making kit, and tissue paper squares and shapes.
 I then made a paste from water and flour, again what I had on hand. I just kind of mixed the two together until I had a thickish paste. 
We then proceeded to make a mess. Thank goodness the weather was warm, I set it up outside and they could get as messy as they wanted.

When they were completely dry the bowls popped right off the molds and I spray painted the outside clear. It helped get rid of the white streaks left behind by the flour.
They also got to pick a color for the inside. My daughter and I chose aqua, while my son chose green. The kids loved doing this craft and the difficulty level for the activity was quite simple, my kids are 5 and 3 and neither of them had much trouble . But like I said, it is MESSY, so I would suggest this be done outside.

If you and your kids give it a try, I would love to see it, send pics of your creations and I will post them on our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment